When my old (very, very used) 30G Casey first popped an underwire, I tried to fix it. It held up for a few more wears, but the wire popped out again. While the Casey is one of my favourite bras, the 30G had always been a bit too small in the cup and, after a few sad attempts to fix it, I figured I’d just give up on it and maybe use it for parts (I do occasionally sew). As I was cutting out the underwires to use in another project, though, I was inspired to try the bra on sans-wires.
While it didn’t give much lift without the wires, it was incredibly comfortable and the moulded cups left it with enough support to be useful. Excited by the idea of a 30G wireless bra, I sewed the underwire channels closed and took it for a “test-drive” the next day. While I did manage to wear it for the entire day, I think it’s much better suited as a sleep/lounge bra.
The cups were too small to begin with, and, without the wires, the gore sits even farther away from my sternum…
…but, for a sleep bra, it’s not a huge issue.
I’ve been wearing the bra to bed and while hunching over my computer to write papers, and I’m quite amazed by how comfortable it is. Going braless has always taken a toll on my back, but wearing underwires all the time is really uncomfortable. This seems to solve the problem quite well. So while I’d probably never buy a wire-less bra (money is tight), this is a great way to get some extra mileage out of old bras after the underwires break/pop out/etc!